I completed a very scientific survey of my friends who are moms, and asked them to tell me what they REALLY want for Mother's Day. They were honest and hilarious - here's what they came up with.
Moms Really Want...
1) Alone Time
Moms often have no time for favourite hobbies. Like reading, or sleeping. There were a lot of requests for some alone time, including:
- "Legit sleeping in. Not the crap where everyone screams in my ear until I get up."
- "A night in a hotel. Alone."
- "A full day at the spa and a night in a hotel with breakfast in bed." (Dream big, people!)
- "A nap."
- "I want to poop by myself and eat food without anyone thugging up on me."
- "A book and a quiet place to read it."
- "Two hours, preferably during the day, to read a book or watch TV and feel zero guilt about it." (The guilt thing is key, people.)
2) Alone Time at the Spa
This was a VERY popular choice. My friends suggested:
- "A spa gift certificate to use another day." (Thereby creating TWO Mother's Days, smart!)
- "A pedicure." (This came up more than once)
- "Alone time - preferably 90 minutes of it on a massage table."
- "I want to sit down to eat and then NOT GET UP AGAIN UNTIL I AM DONE EATING. Sorry, did I yell?"
- "A night in a hotel with breakfast in bed."
- "I want someone else to make all the meals."
- "Mother's Day brunch."
- "Tea somewhere fancy with no kids."
- "I want my kids to draw me a picture or something, and I do not want to make dinner."
- "I want not to end up at Urgent Care. Last year, my kid threw a popcorn seed into his brother's ear."
- "I want to not spend an hour looking for a plastic Paw Patrol dog that is half an inch tall."
- "I want drawings from my kids."
A few people also said they'd like some quality time with their kids, but they were obviously just trying not to be jerks.
Happy Mother's Day!